Saturday, November 1, 2014

SO VERY LUCKY/BLESSED

Just yesterday, on the way to see my newest grandchild and obtain some new baby snuggles and smells, I thought about how very lucky I was to have the life I have. I even began to think about and list all the things that bless my life pretty much on a daily basis. This morning, I’ve travelled about 180 degrees from yesterday afternoon, mainly because my printer has given me an error message that has me moving in circles as opposed to finding a solution. Pretty stupid/silly, hmmmm?


So, I’ve sat down here to move myself back 180 degrees to where I was yesterday. A solution to the printer problem will be found or (really don’t want to do this) I’ll just have to go buy a new one (any suggestions about printers appreciated). 
Right off the top, I am extremely grateful for my good health. Yes, at almost 69, my body does have some quirks that cause me difficulty now and then, but it’s nothing that cannot be lived/dealt with. I am capable of walking 3-5 miles a day, working in the garden, cleaning my own home, driving myself to and from; and I’m planning to remain this independent for as long as possible.

There’s also the fact I was able to retire and not have to worry overmuch about how the bills would get paid. True, I’m not planning any round-the-world trips in the near future, but having the funds to support my life show up on a regular basis without having to work 40 hours a week at anything besides what I want to work at is a great blessing.

Please don’t think I’m putting my “grateful for” paragraphs in any particular order because being grateful for my sons and their families is right at the top. Either son could have moved far away rather than barely five miles which would haven’t allowed me to be a part of their lives on a regular basis. The only possible outcome that would have been better would have been if they moved right into my neighborhood. 
Son #1 married a woman I like to think of as my friend even though we don’t spend the kind of time together we once did…life has a way of sucking up what were once free hours and minutes. Together, they gave me a wonderful granddaughter who is beautiful, clever, bright, silly and the apple of one of my eyes. In her 13 years, we’ve shared movies, trips, laughs, the Nutcracker each Christmas, shopping and just hanging out. My time with her and being able to see each of her achievements as they happen is true happiness. 

Son #2 took his time with regard to finding a partner, but when he did, he not only took her into our lives, but the two children she already had (reminded me of how my daddy took on me and my grandma when he married my mom). Again, I hope she views me as a friend while her children see me as a plus in their lives. Together, they expanded their family of two to three with the birth of my grandson (the apple of my other eye) this past August. To know I’m welcome to pop in whenever I want to (although I do always text or call first…just good manners), snatch the grandboy from whoever or whatever he’s doing makes my heart expand (to quote Dr. Seuss) three times its size. 

It’s also a comfort to know both sons are close enough and willing to provide assistance with projects that are now beyond their parents. I never knew the sliding glass door could be moved with my little finger…thank you, thank you, thank you Son #1. I love my deck swing, but the sun would have cooked me all summer and made the house hotter had Son #2 not stapled Goodwill sheets to the roof joists…thank you, thank you thank you. These are just a couple examples of how they’ve made our lives better by giving of their time. Surely those time donations will increase as we parents age; and surely our sons know how valuable their assistance with keeping us comfortable and independent is to us.

When it comes to counting blessings, I cannot forget the man who’s been a part of my life for 49 years this coming February. Our marriage of 48 years hasn’t been 48 years of solid bliss. Like most married couples, we’ve had our difficulties, failures to communicate, and times when (I’m sure I speak for both of us) we’ve wanted to walk out the door never to return. But, it’s the bliss we shared during those same years that’s kept us together…besides our children and grandchildren, those bliss experiences are too numerous to mention here (perhaps bliss blogs should be on the menu).

Rounding out blessings in my life are the people I am privileged to call my friends. They range from an individual who was once my boss and taught me so many things to individuals I haven’t seen in years.  I’m so fortunate to be able to see my local friends on a regular basis whether it’s for a movie, lunch, glass of wine or just to hang out. Those friends who live far away still bless my life, and I know if we were to come face-to-face tomorrow, our interactions would be the same as if we’d just been together the previous week. Of course, we do keep in touch via email, text or phone calls. Rather do miss those letters and tapes some of us used to exchange, but at least we have all stayed technologically relevant.

There are many other things I could list here for which I am very thankful, i.e., books, television, movies, birds, flowers, rain, snow and anything that adds to my enjoyment of life. Those above are the major ones and writing this has, indeed, moved my mental state back 180 degrees to positivity.  Who knows, perhaps the printer will become something for which I’m thankful once it’s fixed, especially if it provides me with a new learning opportunity.

No comments:

Post a Comment