Thursday, October 30, 2014

HALLOWEEN THROUGH MY YEARS

Yesterday I read an article about how Halloween has become a huge holiday with spending on costumes, candy, parties, etc., having increased more than 55% since 2005. In fact, approximately 70% of the American public will participate in Halloween, spending about $7.4 BILLION dollars in 2014. This includes $2 BILLION for candy and $350 MILLION on pet costumes. 

It made me think about when I was of trick-or-treating age and just what kind of money was spent on Halloween back then. My family certainly didn’t spend a lot of money on a store-bought costume or on “fun-sized” candy either.  In those days, you spent time thinking about your costume and figuring out how you could make it from a variety of materials begged, borrowed or stolen from a variety of family and friends. I remember throwing a sheet over my head to become a ghost; a relative’s old suit to become a man; or someone’s fancy old dress to be a princess or movie star. If we used make up, it was usually the stuff our mother’s had on hand and volunteered. 

The adults in my youth were adults and didn’t dress up at all. If I was accompanied  by an adult (which ended fairly early in elementary school) in my rounds to collect free stuff (it wasn’t all candy then either), whichever adult was with me/us wore their normal clothes and the same if they stayed home and handed out the treats. Today adult costumes are a huge business and there are more adult-only parties then kid parties. As for our pets, if they were the barking (or biting) kind, they got closed up in a bedroom until the frivolity was over.  

So, there I was, dressed in my ghost costume ready for trick or treating. Did I carry a fancy bag or pressed plastic punkin in which to place the goodies…nope, I used a pillowcase. Groups of us would traverse the neighborhood, connecting to compare which house had the best stuff. Sometimes I think we even did doubles if the treat was extra special. 

Extra special had a different meaning as well. It didn’t mean full-sized (now those HUGE ones) candy bars, but the popcorn balls made by the old lady down the street or the special cookies made by another neighbor on the next block. I never knew the name of those cookies, but they were absolutely delicious, and thinking about those popcorn balls still makes my mouth water. At the end of the evening, my parents didn’t check my pillowcase to see if there was anything dangerous inside; nor did they throw out those homemade goodies…I got to eat everything I brought home; and I tried very hard not to gulp that popcorn ball down first thing. 

When my own kids were big enough to participate in Halloween, it was still a pretty laid-back holiday. Of course the kids weren’t laid-back because it meant candy, candy, candy. I don’t think I ever purchased an actual costume except for the time my high school son decided to go as a girl, and even then, the only things I bought were one of those long curly blond wigs and press on fingernails. I remember making ghost and clown costumes which lasted a couple of years each. One year, my husband’s mother made elder son a Star Wars costume. Other times, we hauled stuff out of the closets and used purchased make-up to turn the boys into something other than themselves. 

It was about that time, I think that we began buying those bags of fun-sized candy bars. Initially, the boys each got to trick or treat the neighborhood with mom or dad in tow; but as they became older, they were allowed to venture further on their own with other neighbor kids. Since my sons are ten years apart, the elder even spent a couple of Halloweens driving his younger brother on a huge route to collect candy (yes, he used a pillowcase) with the proviso that the younger had to share with the older. They had a wonderful time doing this together.  

Now, my sons have their own children and I’m so grateful it’s them and not me. I cannot imagine trying to decide which costume should be purchased or how much money should be allotted in the budget for this purpose. The miserly me shudders at the idea of buying some cheap piece of crap (for want of a better word) only to discard it the day after. Of course, I love to see them all dressed up and hollering, “Trick or Treat” at the front door; and, of course, we give them far more than just a single piece of candy.

About the time the whole Halloween partying began, my husband and I did participate for a few years. In the beginning, the costumes weren’t too elaborate or costly. In fact, I won first prize one year. I purchased a hat and cane, eyebrows which I cut up so I could use one as a mustache and wore an old suit and shirt that had been in the back of the closet for years. Voila, I was Charlie Chaplin. I think the fact I walked funny and didn’t talk all evening is actually what won me that bottle of champagne.  

As the years passed, however, the costumes became extremely elaborate, beautiful and spendy. Our last costume party, we donned black garbage bags, stuffed them with newspaper and went as the California raisons…we won zip. At that point, we decided these parties just weren’t for us and ceased to go. Now, it’s been a long time since we’ve received an invitation. Most likely it’s because the hosts figure we’d show up costumed as a couple of old people. Since we do a really good job of being old people, we’d surely win first prize.   

Instead, we’ll stay home as usual and pass out candy to the 15-20 kids who make it to the door and gorge ourselves on the left overs. That’s just as much fun as it used to be to imbibe alcoholic beverages and probably just as bad for us now as the alcohol was then. Not to mention the fact that four bags of candy comes to about $10. Clearly we aren’t doing our part when it comes to that $7.4 BILLION.

No comments:

Post a Comment