Saturday, October 18, 2014

THE BEST REASON TO BLOG

Sometimes encouragement and support comes from an unexpected source. Sometimes my own child, the child I carried and have known for more than 44 years surprises me with his insight and comments about something that is very important to me. It’s also a surprise to find that same something is very important to him. 
This morning an email from my son provided surprise and encouragement with regard to this very blog, i.e.,
What the heck? No writings since August? You should keep doing them Ma. Even if no one comments. It's like a bit of history for me or you or us as a family. It's your insight to how you are, daily or yearly perspectives on things you do or the family did/does. Also bits of family loved ones who have been forgotten but are remembered for what they have passed on.
“Anyways, just my thoughts on your blog. Your retired, you have time (I think), you can be the writer you always wanted to be (and you are) by sharing your thoughts, ideas, wisdom, humor, experience & history of your life with us. 
“Sure it might be a small group of folks. But it's these folks who love you Ma.” 
He also said he’s printing them out and plans to save them to have when he’s as old, or older, than his dad.
Decades ago (and I wish now that I’d begun with the very first Christmas we were married), I began to write a Christmas newsletter. Each one had a paragraph or two about each family member. They celebrated each member’s success or reported on difficulties for that year…soccer team championship or the breast cancer battle are examples. Each newsletter is a little annual family history; and even though my sons are grown with families of their own, I continue to write and send these newsletters, which began with four members and now includes ten.  I’ve always imagined the boys having and reading them when I’m no longer around to continue creating these annual reports.
It never occurred to me until this morning’s email that I was doing the very same thing with my blog postings. From reading other blogs and thinking about what I wanted to do with my blog, I was more oriented toward a goal of obtaining what another blogger I read just achieved…10,000 readers. If I didn’t have readers or my readership wasn’t climbing, then what I was writing must not be of great interest to anyone. I hadn’t realized my blogging provided information, history, thoughts and ideas my own son would want to print and keep and treasure. Surely, this is the very best and most important reason to blog…at least in my opinion.
Thank you son, for your email today…it’s one I’m going to save and read again and again for inspiration.

1 comment:

  1. Fab, just a fab job Ma. I'm glad I provided a lil'kick to your fanny for some inspiration. Love Yer Son. ����

    ReplyDelete