Wednesday, November 19, 2014

NEED FOR SKIN

Going on what has to be 50 years ago, I read an article for an English class at the University of Washington which had to do with how the elderly didn’t get enough skin. The point of the article was that as a person ages, contact with other humans lessens over time. I didn’t give it much thought then although I did attempt to hug my grandma and mom more often. 

As the years/decades passed, however, I’ve come to not only see the truth in that article, but to experience it as well. As a child growing up, there were lots of hugs and caresses in my family. One of my favorite memories is of my mother brushing and brushing my hair and how good it felt.  

Along came boyfriends and I certainly remember how good it felt to be hugged and kissed by them, not to mention the desire to “go all the way” in response to those raging hormones as well as to see why it was forbidden. Of course, I found the “one” and experienced years and years of not only amazing and fantastic sex, but all it entailed.  

I have memories of John and I spending entire days cuddled on the couch, our being warm and close and lazy making for a perfect day. Nights, before we went to sleep, we’d always cuddle and sometimes talk about our day or plans or dreams. Here again, we were skin to skin and who knows how many nights I drifted off to sleep with him nestled around me, his hand on my hip. 

We all know how babies are made (or we should anyway), so, of course, all that superb sex eventually led to the birth of our first child and ten years later the birth of our second child. Talk about having more than enough skin during those years. Whoa, I remember how it was with son #2, Thor. For four years, I was a stay at home mom. Yes, I loved being home with Thor, and I also loved being home for son #1, AJ, when he came home from school. But, by the end of the day, I’d had way more than enough skin to last until the next day if not the next year.  

Bedtime was at 8:00 pm for Thor, 9:00 for AJ. We’d get Thor ready…bath, jammies, stories, and then leave him in his crib. I would no more sit down than he would be calling from his room, “Daaaaaady, Daaaaady, can I have a cuddle, Daaaaady.” John simply couldn’t resist those plaintive cries and would go rescue Thor, bring him back to the living room and cuddle him on the couch. Thor, who sucked the two first fingers on his left hand, would twist around, look back at me and give me the biggest smile around those two fingers…I never did, but there were days when I was so tired, I wanted to slap the two of them silly. 

Children do grow up, and before I knew it, I had to beg for hugs, kisses and cuddles from my boys. Fortunately, John continued to provide needed skin with hugs, cuddles, kisses and sex. Not only do children grow up, but we as parents grow older as well and our bodies fail or undergo changes that require a different level of comfort. For a wide variety of reasons (think snoring, too hot, too cold, window open/shut, TV on/off, up and down often) as we aged we shared less and less skin to the point we now have separate bedrooms. 

John always goes to bed at 10:00 pm, gets up a few hours later to take his medication, is up for a couple of hours and then doesn’t get up until shortly after I do. I’m a night person and like to stay up late, go to sleep with the TV on, sleep all night without being disturbed, and sleep in the next day. (Walking five mornings a week with a neighbor doesn’t allow this, but I take great advantage on the weekends.) John naps during the day and I don’t. As you can see, our schedules don’t allow for a lot of skin to skin contact or cuddles. 

According to a report from August 2013, 30-40% of couples sleep in separate rooms, so it isn’t like we are an odd couple. Using the internet I tried to find some information on the important of skin to skin touch for older individuals. I found lots of information on skin care, but only one article about mental health and touch. Even this article didn’t go into great detail, but pointed out how it was important to hug older people, especially those who live alone.  

Researching further, I Googled, ”how many hugs a day to stay healthy,” and the first thing that pops up is: 

There is a saying by Virginia Satir, a respected family therapist, “We need four hugs a day for survival. We need eight hugs a day for maintenance. We need twelve hugs a day for growth.”  

If I base my skin to skin needs on this, I have a dangerous deficit and my survival and growth is in serious jeopardy. In a good week, I doubt I get anywhere near eight hugs, let alone that many in a day. Shocking isn’t it…at least I think so. 

Perhaps it’s having a new baby to cuddle that’s brought all this to the forefront of my brain. I know sitting and holding grandson Xander whether he’s asleep on my chest or we’re making faces at each other, I get such a sense of joy and peace. It’s like he’s filling up an empty place I hadn’t recognized because it slowly emptied over a long period of time. 

Well, there’s no way I’m going to get to have Xander on a regular, daily basis in order to get my empty skin need met, so I’m going to have to do something about it on my own now that I know it’s there. I’d say it’s up to me to seek out those hugs and cuddles from John. Since we are together every day, it shouldn’t be too terribly hard for me to snuggle up to him at the kitchen sink, lean over the back of his chair, or climb beneath his blanket when he goes for a nap. I guess this should also serve as a warning to family and friends...there's way more hugs in your futures.

For now, my goal will be those first four hugs a day to be followed by eight and then 12. You see, I don’t just want to survive, I want to grow, grow, grow and for that, I’ll need way more skin, just like that article stated all those decades ago.

No comments:

Post a Comment