Sunday, November 9, 2014

SUNDAY NEWSPAPER ADS

This morning as I perused the Sunday newspaper, I found myself wondering why I continue this time-wasting habit. Reading the actual news (unless it’s absolutely horrible in which case I turn the page), my favorite columns, etc., isn’t actually a waste of time, but going through all the sale papers does take time I could use elsewhere. 


I can’t remember when I first began reading the Sunday paper, but I know the first section was the comics. Both my parents would spend Sunday morning going through the paper, reading and talking about a variety of topics. My mom liked football just as much as my dad, so they even talked about the sports news. 

Mom also went through all the sale papers and noted what was on sale. She always had a very tight budget so if at all possible, she would buy whatever we needed when it was on sale. As I got older, I too, began to look through all those pages, mostly to see the current or upcoming fashions even though I knew I’d never be able to shop at The Bon Marche or Nordstrom. Still, all those pictures gave me an idea of what kind of look to aim for. A boy I dated briefly after high school told me that while he knew my clothes weren’t expensive I always looked very well put together, so I guess I achieved my goal.


Once I had my own money to spend, I continued to look in the paper for bargains and rarely paid full price for anything. After marriage and the acquisition of a house that actually echoed it was so empty, it was even more important to look for needed items on sale. Over the course of my 45-year marriage, it was a rare event when I actually paid full price for something we needed.


My family increased with the birth of first one son and then a second ten years later. The desire and need to count our pennies became even greater because neither my husband nor I wanted to put our children in day care or have them become latch key kids. Working for himself, my husband was able to do mornings and made sure the kids were up, fed and out the door on time for school. He even spent one year as the only father participating in a preschool program…he loved it.


I, on the other hand, am not a morning person, so it was easier for me to get up, get ready and leave the mornings to him. Instead, working part-time, I was able to be home in the afternoons when they came home from school as well as be a room mother, assist in classes and go on field trips. There were even a couple of times other neighborhood parents relied on me to have their children after school. 


As you must be able to tell, a big fat paycheck or expensive trips were not at the top of our must have list. Rather, we wanted our children to be able to rely on us whenever they needed us. We did such a good job of this that it didn’t matter who responded when one of them yelled for dad or mom…whoever showed up was fine and able to deal with whatever was happening. 


Of course, this made reviewing all those sale papers extremely important.  Yes, we wanted our sons to have the latest fashions from the most popular stores and learned early we had created at least one monster. He needed basketball shoes and my husband purchased them at K-Mart. He refused to wear them while his cousin was delighted to receive a brand new pair of shoes…we still laugh about this one. At the same time, this child had one saving grace…he walked to the beat of his own drummer, so what was highly fashionable wasn’t necessarily what he wanted. 


Even so, reading those sale pages for clothes, shoes, stuff for the house and food was essential in order to make our budget stretch as far as possible. At one time, when I did the weekly grocery shopping, I visited at least three neighborhood stores plus one of those warehouses depending on what was on sale and on the list. 


Over the years, as the kids grew up and left home, I continued to read the sale pages, but began to discontinue many because I knew there would be nothing in them that I could possibly need. This morning I found myself wondering why I continued to look at the few Sunday ads I still separate out from the paper. It really doesn’t make any sense. 


I am at a point in my life where I have everything I need. Of course there are things I would like to have only because they would be new and different and I would like them better. Case in point:  the everyday dishes are Fiesta ware and I’ve had them for years. There are no missing or broken pieces, but I would love to have a complete new service for 12 in the neon colors now available. That’s all, just a change in colors, but certainly not worth an investment of hundreds or thousands of dollars. The same can be said for everything in the kitchen…they have such beautiful and colorful appliances and cookware now, but what I’m currently using could, quite possibly, continue to be used when I’m done with it.


The furniture sale pages don’t even rate a peek and haven’t for a long time. When we bought furniture, we bought quality, and while I’ve had new cushions made a couple of times, solid oak is solid, so there’s no need for a new couch, end tables, dining table, etc. Yes, it’s all a bit worn here and there, but still comfortable and useable.


I guess what I’m trying to say here is that I have everything I need to last me until I either downsize or move on to the next unknown phase of life, at which point the sons will have to decide what to do with this “old” stuff. So why bother to look at the Sunday ads? Habit I guess more than anything, so perhaps it’s time to give them all a pass every Sunday and use that time to celebrate the fact I've already got it "all."

No comments:

Post a Comment