Tuesday, January 13, 2015

I’M BA-A-A-A-A-A-A-CK!!!

It’s hard to believe I haven’t done a blog post since my 2014th birthday. That’s going on two months…it will be two months in seven days. Where did the time flee? I know I began a Thanksgiving blog but got sidetracked by something or someone. I also began a Christmas blog, but that too ended up unfinished and unposted. The only excuses I can offer myself is that I was busy, it was the holidays, I was having a total hip replacement at the end of December and all of the chores and/or events all these things entailed took up my time. 

Now, those are all past. Thanksgiving was great and split between the two sons. AJ and his family came for dinner and then we all went to Thor’s for dessert. We went to Wildlights at Woodland Park Zoo (except Thor and John) which is becoming an annual tradition for those of us who can make it. Christmas Eve was spent at my house with both sons and their families. Christmas day was brunch at AJ’s followed by evening dessert at Thor’s although neither John nor I were able to make it. 

All too soon, it was time to go to the hospital for my first big surgical adventure. I honestly don’t know what we would have done without AJ and Angie. Angie drove us there, stayed with John all day (I thought I’d be in my room by noon, but it was actually 3:45.), and AJ and Haley showed up some time during the day and brought me flowers. 

Angie and Haley returned the next day and the following day, they were there to take me home. It was a good thing Angie made a point to be on hand since there were some things I know I heard, but simply did not remember (Why does anyone want to take Oxycodone on a regular basis…it makes me completely stupid and forgetful.)  Back home, Angie and Haley stayed so Angie could monitor me for the rest of the day. AJ stopped by after work with dinner for everyone. Angie went home and got an electric heater because she believed my room was too cold (forgot to mention she rearranged my room when we arrived to better accommodate my walker which was a very good thing). 

I have to admit the surgery was amazing. I woke up twice during, first to the sound of a saw…hmmm, they’re sawing my bone…and second to the sound of a hammer…hmmm, they’re pounding the spike into my bone. Neither time did I feel a hint of panic nor concern and was soon happily sedated again and unaware of whatever they were doing. Just a few hours later, the nurse got me up and had me walk around the room with the walker. Getting out of bed hurt like hell, but the walking, such a surprise, didn’t hurt at all.  

The next two days seemed to pass in a blur with occupational therapists and physical therapists coming to visit and instruct me in what I could and could not do. Most amazing was the food. I was able to order anything I wanted from the menu. Unfortunately it was a diabetic menu and the person at the other end kept track of the grams of sugar/carbs and wouldn’t allow me to have raison bran and yogurt at the same time. The food was good and I’d really like to see a regular menu to know what I missed. 

It’s now two weeks and one day past my surgery; and according to my doctor, I can do pretty much whatever I want within reason. I can bend over provided my left leg is up and behind me. I can walk with either the cane or the walker and must confess I’ve actually done some walking around the house (when John’s not looking) without either. As long as I keep my legs apart (no sitting like a lady for a while), don’t climb ladders (don’t think a patient has ever asked about climbing a ladder judging by the look on the doctor’s face), and don’t overdo, I should be ready to go full out after my next visit in a month. 

I’ve also not taken any Oxy today. It’s the first day I’ve not had one with breakfast, and I seem to be just fine; and it may also be the reason I can actually string these words together. I’m hoping to get by without any at all today, but depending on my walk this afternoon, we’ll see. I’ll be glad to see the last of that medication, believe me. 

During the last two weeks as I dozed and/or dreamt in an oxy haze, I thought about this blog and topics I might like to blog about. While I can’t promise that I’ll post every single day, I’m going to try to write on a regular basis, whether for my blog or on the book I’ve been ruminating over for a number of years. I want/need something in my life about which I can be passionate. So far, the only thing that stands out is writing. So, perhaps this post is just the beginning. Perhaps 2015 is the year I finish that book. Actually, I shouldn’t (there’s no such thing as shouldn’t) even say perhaps…I should commit to making this happen. After all, there’s no one holding me back, getting in my way or telling me I cannot do it…except me and you know who has control when it comes to that…ME. 

Yep, I think I’m back.

No comments:

Post a Comment