Thursday, January 22, 2015

GREAT AUNT FLONNIE IS 106 TODAY

I’ve written about Great Aunt Flonnie once before and promised I’d do so again.  Today is her 106th birthday. What an amazing woman she is and what a life she has lived. I’m lucky enough to have been given a variety of information about her life by her daughters…Etta Jane, Ella Mae and Lynna Ruth (don’t you love those names?). I’ll share more about Great Aunt Flonnie’s life in future blogs.
Just yesterday, Ella Mae sent me an email with a link (http://wate.com/2015/01/20/oneida-woman-turns-106-on-thursday/) to an interview done by WATE-TV channel 6 Knoxville TN.  I lifted the information and picture below directly from On Your Side reporter Cameron Taylor’s interview:
“Coming in at 4’11” tall and weighing 90 pounds, the community sees Stephens as a role model for people of all ages.”
                                             
                                           Flonnie Webb Stephens
“I don’t feel like I’m that old. I tell people ‘I’m not that old’,” said Stephens.
“As a graduate of the class of 1929, she lined up with the rest of the Valedictorians who could make it to the school’s centennial ceremony.
“You’re probably wondering what her secret is to making it to this age.”
“I’ve been honest, I’ve worked hard and I’m so thankful that I’m still able to go and do what I do,” said Stephens.
“She has lived in the Oneida community all her life.
“Her daughter, Etta, considers her a great role model.”
“I’m very proud of my mother,” said Price. “She’s a fantastic person.”
“Oneida High is a special place for Stephens and if you can believe it, she’s older than the school by a few years.
“It holds a deep place in her heart that her granddaughter replaced her high school class ring when she lost it.
“Oneida High School tells WATE 6 On Your Side she is the oldest living high school graduate in the state.”
Ella Maye’s email also said they received word that the Sheriff and some deputies are planning a surprise party for her at the house today…flowers and cake. On her 100th birthday, they arrested and handcuffed her for dancing in the street at Main & Third. I don’t imagine they’ll do that today, but I bet if they do, Great Aunt Flonnie just might kick up her heels and dance her way to the paddy wagon.
I’d love to be there to celebrate with them, but it wasn’t possible this year. The flowers I ordered yesterday will be delivered today with a message of love and admiration and a request that daughter Etta Jane give her a huge hug and big kiss from me. The calendar is marked for Great Aunt Flonnie’s 107th…I’d like to deliver flowers and hugs and kisses for that one in person.

No comments:

Post a Comment