Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Exercise, Physical Therapy, Gym


There was a time in my life when the use of my name, Paula, and the words gym and sweat used in a sentence would have made me laugh. But, that was before breast cancer and a year of treatment. Once the treatment was completed, my muscles had the consistency of an al dente noodle. Not exactly Superwoman, capable of leaping tall buildings, stopping trains or doing anything that required muscle strength.

 After four weeks of physical and occupational therapy for four hours a day, my muscles once again did my bidding, and I felt better than I had for a very long time, even pre cancer. So, I did what seemed to be the next step…I joined a gym.  While I was working, I'd get up at 4:30 am to go to the gym first thing. When I retired, my plan was to spend even more time at the gym, but I'm afraid I didn't exactly exercise that plan. It was so easy to sleep in, slouch around, think about the gym and then, go, "Oh, golly gee, it's dinner time and I haven't been to the gym...maybe tomorrow."
I confess, I absolutely hate exercise and going to the gym. People talk about how cardio releases endorphins…what endorphins??? People talk about how much better they feel mentally after a good bout of exercise…there’s nothing wrong with me mentally (or so I tell myself). People and my doctor talk about how much longer I’ll live and how much healthier I’ll be if I just keep exercising…that’s scary, but apparently not a big motivator. Unfortunately, I have to change my attitude about exercise, physical therapy and going to the gym, but it is damned hard.
In March, I was diagnosed with moderate to severe arthritis in my left hip...according to the Physical Therapist, who saw the x-rays, it's more severe than moderate, and the pain I experience definitely points to severely severe as far as I'm concerned. I began physical therapy in March and for the last couple of weeks, really thought I had progressed to the point where I could cancel my July appointment in orthopedics...no hip replacement for me...yahoooooo!!! Very little pain, absolutely no stiffness thanks to PT and walking almost every day.
So much for progress when I went to bed last night. My hip hurt, severely, no matter how I tried to arrange my body in bed. That's the odd thing about this. If I could sleep standing up, there would probably be no pain. Pain medication doesn't help a great deal and makes me feel as though my brain is wrapped in cotton the next day. So, after a horrible pain-filled night, I cancelled my morning walk and haven't done any PT today. My hip feels just fine again; and I'm not stiff, but I'm wondering how it will be once I crawl into bed.
What I'm left wondering is whether I did this to myself by not keeping my vow to go to the gym on a regular basis. Did my lazy habit of not exercising or walking much exacerbate this problem? Or, is it just that when you get arthritis, there can be flare-ups like last night. The past six weeks of PT have caused my muscles to become stronger; and most days I am able to accomplish almost anything I choose without pain. According to the physical therapist, I need to continue to do my stretches and PT and get back to the gym to maintain and better the progress I've made.
You would think that becoming pain free and feeling better physically and mentally would be more than enough motivation to put PT and exercise at the top of my daily list of to-dos. Perhaps in time (six+ weeks isn't enough time????), I'll begin to look forward to walking, stretching, keeping up my physical therapy and adding the gym back into my schedule.  Right now, I’m desperate for something...I know not what...that will keep me on the path I began in March. I actually know I really don't have a choice, but I'd just like this choice to be more palatable.
I’d more than welcome any suggestions or ideas you've used to make yourself get up and out there. What kind of tricks have you used to make something you heartily dislike more agreeable? 

No comments:

Post a Comment